1. Laughter releases endorphins, which promote a feeling of well being and pain reduction.
2. Laughter decreases stress hormones to help fight infection and disease.
3. Laughter increases blood flow, and improves overall cardiovascular health
4. Laughter reduces tension and leaves muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes.
5. Laughing with others creates a positive bond with them.
So, in summary, these five tips about laughter being GREAT "medicine" are free and easy to incorporate into your life. Remember, laughing is contagious, and fun to share. Laughing with people can enhance your life, as well as the lives of those with whom you live and work.
It's important to remember that laughing with people is not the same as laughing AT people, which, when feeling down, is sometimes the easier thing to do. Easier, but with none of the mentioned benefits.
Sometimes life presents tragic and depressing situations to work through. They are not laughing matters per se, but remembering the benefits of laughter, even as processing the tragedies of life will shorten your recovery time, and get you back to living life with purpose and joy. Good luck!