After the rush of the holidays, some want a change from the sweet drinks and the bubbly. You do not need to have a problem with alcohol to be able to gain benefits from taking a break from it.
This is where Dry January comes in. It’s a time where many people choose to avoid alcohol for the entirety of the month.
For some, they believe it is a chance for them to start the year off fresh. Others might like to try something different. And it is a chance for anyone to make a positive impact on their health.
Here are some ways drinking less alcohol can be beneficial for our overall well being:
- When we drink alcohol it can decrease our restorative REM sleep. Giving it up for a month may improve our sleep and give us more energy.
- We can boost our moods with less alcohol as excessive alcohol consumption has been shown to impact the chemistry of the brain by decreasing the brain chemicals that are linked to energy levels and good mood.
- It can also affect our long-term health. Cutting out alcohol can lower our blood sugar, reduce cholesterol, and decrease headaches or heartburn.
- Cutting back can also improve the skin’s appearance as alcohol causes dehydration of your skin as well as puffiness and acne.
- Decreasing alcohol use can help us maintain a healthy weight. Alcohol is empty calories on top of gaining VIP status in your body’s processing of calories for energy. So it jumps the line ahead of other food items that may offer more nutritional benefits.
Cutting back can also help us save more money. We may not even be aware of how much it costs to purchase drinks but it can add up. With Dry January, we can give our wallets and our bodies a healthy break.